Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Am"Bush"ed in Israel

Last week I was in Israel with Ro (the boss) during the country's 60th anniversary. This was really surprising to me that the country won it's independence only 60 years ago from the British. I had no idea that Israel was such a young country or that it had ever been occupied by the British. But then again the British empire seems to want to conquer everything. The anniversary also made it an ideal time for President W. Bush to visit Israel for the middle east peace talks. How delightful for us considering that Hamas decided to launch the largest rocket ever fired from the Gaza strip hitting a town 1 hour away from Jerusalem. No need to worry though as Ro and I didn't go to Jerusalem until the following day.

This was likely Ro's last trip to Israel so he wanted to spend some time on a tour of Jerusalem. Some readers may be aware that I took a tour of Jerusalem on my last visit to Israel but I didn't mind going again since it's really a beautiful and historic city and my tour was pretty quick and dirty last time. On this trip we were also able to visit Yad Vashem, the Holocaust Museum. Yad Vashem is an amazing yet eerie place dedicated to the rememberance of the 6 million Jews killed during the Holocaust. We were only given an hour and half to tour the musuem which was not nearly enough to stop and take in all of the images and stories on display. It would be nice to come back at some point to see the museum in greater detail.

I haven't got much else to write about Israel as it was mostly another exhausting work trip but I did manage to get some more pictures.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome pictures! Israel is on my list of places I need to visit.

Funny you should mention Britain's involvement in the creation of Israel. Had an old issue of the London Review in our recycling bin which had a cover story about how England messed up the Mandate of Palestine post WWII. Synchronicity, no?