Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The First 90 Days (yes I’m stealing the title)

For the non-Alterans, when you start a new job at Altera you are given a focal review after your first 90-days on the job to ensure that you and Altera are meeting each other’s expectations so here is my 90-day review. I’m absolutely amazed that I’ve already spent 3 months living abroad. I say living abroad because I feel as though I’ve spent more time traveling across the continent than actually spending time in the UK (and especially London). Over the last 90 days I’ve traveled to 17 different cities (19 if you include London and High Wycombe), been to 3 continents, logged 26.956 air miles, been on an African safari, seen 4 celebrities, called home 12,562 times, spent more money at Selfridges than I will ever make, lost some friends, and gained some new friends. In between all that I did do some work as well ;-)


Ro asked me about a week ago where my happiness factor was on a scale of 1 to 10 and he was nervous to hear that after nearly 3 months my answer was 5. He’s been having a great time during his ex-pat tour of duty so he was a bit taken aback to hear that my rating was so low. With everything that I’ve been through over the last 3 months I felt that my rating was realistic and fair but his reaction got me thinking. We’ve had very different experiences in moving to the UK. Ro has packed up and moved countries and states before in his life and he came to the UK with his family and a pre-established network of friends. I moved on my own with my closest relatives (whom I haven’t seen in about 5 years) living in Germany and no previous friendships to speak of. The friends that I do have here now I’ve had to beg, borrow, and steal from my friends back home. Also the MO for most ex-pats is that we work very hard and travel most of the time so trying to spend time together with all of our crazy schedules is a major challenge. We are also very different personalities where Ro admittedly does not become too attached and takes a very easy-going approach to life. I have a strong need for stability, consistency, and direction and am very attached to my friends, family, and lifestyle back home. I also still have lingering ties to people and places back home that probably keep me from fully integrating into life in London. Therefore I still think that a rating of 5 is decent for my current mindset and state of affairs. I also feel that from here I can only go up.


Although it hasn’t been that long yet, I definitely feel that my mindset has started to shift. I always understood that there were different cultures and lifestyles but I don’t think that I could fully appreciate it until now. I don’t just mean the culture and lifestyle in the UK or London either. I’ve gone from seeing the most extreme displays of wealth and privilege to the most poverty stricken and desolate of people and places. Although I still spend a good deal of my time in stressful contemplation and frustration, I do think that I’ve learned to have some patience and understanding and am starting to try and live one day at a time. With all of the dramatic and sweeping changes that have passed all I can say is what a difference a day or 90 days makes. We’ll just have to wait and see what’s in store for me next.